


This autumn darkness has my mind turning inward, as usual this time of year. I am coming out of my baby-year, sleep-deprived, foggy, with what seems to be a chronic eye-twitch, and not-so-sharp in the head. But I feel like I'm moving forward, just a bit, and feeling the urge to focus on myself a little more. Mothering the first year of a child's life is such a lesson in self-sacrifice - of sleep, time, and energy (did I mention sleep?) But now, I'm feeling the urge to craft, to have more time with Gary, to start a women's circle, to read, to think, to do yoga, and to SLEEP. Don't get me wrong, very little of this has actually happened, but the intentions are growing in the darkness, rumbling around my head during night feedings. I feel like I'm starting to come back to myself, and it feels good. Of course, along with any positive things that have been on hold for a year, all those dark, heavy pieces are still waiting for me as well, just where I left them.
And there are new struggles. Lately, I've been struggling to find balance with two wee ones. I find myself simultaneously grieving the fact that Skye will be in kindergarten this time next year, while longing for having just one child to chase around at a time. I am starting to long for evenings or even weekends all to myself, to just craft or read or hike. All this will come (or be worked out) in time, I know. For now, I'll just chalk them up to growing pains of parenthood. Here's to growth in the darkness.
Oh, I'm at this same place, but am able to find time for yoga now, and some reading which is so good. Now, I'm wondering about time to be in public or with my DH again. I love Autumn as much as it can be hard to live inside ourselves.
ReplyDelete