January 23, 2012

"Grace"

Skye came beaming off of the bus today with a spry smile, pulled my ear down, and whispered to me. "I want my name to be 'Grace' now. Okay?" "Sure, Grace it is."

This mama is not new to chosen names. I never felt comfortable with my birth name and changed it from year to year in gradeschool, trying on "Jenny, Jennifer, Lynn, Jeni, etc." I was finally relieved of the whole thing for about 16 years as "Tuesday" until acquiescing back into "Jen" upon our move to Kentucky.

So let her get an early start, whatever she'll be . . . she'll be. In the words of Bob Dylan (born Bob Zimmerman) "I didn't sit around and think about it too much.That is who I felt I was."

-Or maybe her teacher read her a Junie B. book today at school and she liked the character named "Grace." Yeah, that's probably it.

2 comments:

  1. love it! she is so grace-filled, as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what does Gary call you??

    ReplyDelete